The Coll Watermill
The coll Watermill was built in the 14th century and was used for grinding wheat and making oil. The cornmill has two sets of millstones and a wooden driving mechanism. The mill is regularly operated by volunteers.
In 1884 the watermill was painted by Vincent van Gogh. The famous painter lived (in Nuenen) from 1883 until 1885. In a letter to his friend, Van Rappard, Van Gogh wrote about a watermill with a red roof, surrounded by poplars.
The painting shows Vincent van Gogh’s use of warm landscape colours. In 1886, Vincent van Gogh moved to Paris.